Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2015

WIP

Inside, Astrid and I waited in the old Dutch house's enormous lounge. The floors were darkwood, covered in expensive-looking rugs. Klaas and Thabo had made us wait while they prepared...something. 

"Where do you think they are now," Astrid asked, "the people who used to live here?"

"Who knows and who cares. Probably locked away behind a six-foot wall in Sandton, bankrupting their insurance provider."

"You're kind of defensive, you know."

I didn't want to get into an argument and to be honest, I was curious about what KIaas and Thabo wanted to show me. Also, I can admit to myself that I was enjoying it out here, away from the city. I had been trapped there so long, so constantly, that I had forgotten any goddamn sense of normalcy. Right now, even with three people I barely knew, out on a once-thriving wine farm that had been abandoned and reposessed by a boertjie and his Zulu boyfriend - it felt like the most normal thing in the world.

No comments: